Genesis has been created by Forward Theatre Project and is the result of a two-year research partnership with the UK’s only charity dedicated to the prediction and prevention of breast cancer, South Manchester’s Prevent Breast Cancer.
Sally continues:“Breast cancer prevention is something that’s extremely close to mine and my family’s hearts, which is why we’re backing this incredible project to create awareness through the art of theatre.”
In developing the play Frazer Flintham, Genesis playwright, and Charlotte Bennett interviewed over 40 people – from geneticists, scientists and surgeons to patients, families and fundraisers connected with Prevent Breast Cancer, to explore the complex human impacts of predicting illness through science.
The all-female cast, featuring Helen Bradbury (who played Elizabeth I in BBC2’s Bloody Queens: Elizabeth and Mary in February this year), Joanna Nicks and Charlotte Melia, will be rehearsing in Manchester throughout October, which is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Judi Hibbert of Prevent Breast Cancer said: “1 in 9 women and 1 in 1000 men will develop breast cancer during their lifetime. We are delighted to be working with Forward Theatre Project and tremendously excited that they will be able to help portray the breast cancer situation in a way that even more people across the UK will understand the situation and help support it.”
Alongside the production, Forward Theatre Project will deliver a series of workshops and events including:
- Free educational drama workshops with young women (aged 16+) from schools about body confidence and teaching breast checks.
- ’Feel Good’ workshops for breast cancer patients including a pamper day of makeovers and professional portrait photographs.
- A live stream of the show online for audiences to access across the world
- A photography exhibition of 5 topless images of patients who have had mastectomies which celebrate survival, to be shown at The Lowry during the opening run of Genesis.
- A full post-show panel discussion at The Lowry on Friday 11 November with collaborating scientists and artists.
Genesis (UK Premiere)
11 & 12 November (8pm) | 12 November (2.30pm)
Tickets: £12 (£10 concessions)
The Lowry, Pier 8, Salford Quays, M50 3AZ
Box office: 0843 208 6000